Liposuction for female breast reduction is now commonly performed by Dr John Barrett at Palm Clinic in Auckland, New Zealand. Many women are burdened by large breasts and complain of aching neck, back pain, neck pain and headache.
Many women would love to decrease the size of their breasts to increase comfort, but are unhappy to undergo plastic surgery which would leave large scars and possibly changed sensation to the nipple. They may not be able to afford the 2 weeks off work or normal lifestyle activities that conventional breast reduction surgery could take. Breast reduction by liposuction costs much less and the recovery period is dramatically reduced with most women returning to work 3 days after.
Breast Reduction Liposuction for Women
For women who are happy with the shape of their breasts and just want them smaller, between 40 and 60% of the volume of the breast can be removed by liposuction, totally under local anaesthetic. Scars are typically not an issue with breast reduction by liposuction as the entry sites are generally confined to 3 tiny incisions under the breasts or in the armpit. This is particularly important for younger woman who want to avoid the tell tale T shaped scars caused by conventional breast reduction surgery.
Dr John Barrett is often asked how does the skin manage to contract when you remove the fat but this is seldom a problem in the breast area. Once the fat has been removed the skin is no longer pulled down by the weight of the breast tissue and is able to contract and produce a nice breast lift.
Fatty Breast Reduction
Breast reduction by liposuction works best for women with fatty breasts. An ultrasound assessment is made at the initial consultation to determine whether there is enough fat to make a worthwhile difference. For the occasional woman who is not suitable for liposuction breast reduction we refer you to a plastic surgeon for breast surgery.
More genuine before and after photo's of liposuction of the breasts can be viewed in our before & after liposuction image gallery.
Before & After Photos of Breast Reduction by Liposuction
- Before and after breast reduction by liposuction resulting in a breast lift and bra cupsize reduction.
- In these before and after photos the after has been taken at 2 months post liposuction. It already shows a significant volume reduction and breast lift and this will continue to improve over the next few months.
- Breast reduction by liposuction resulting in a breast lift and bra cupsize reduction.
- In this before and after photo the after shot has been overlaid on top of the before shot to demonstrate the degree of breast reduction after liposuction.
- The white line demonstrates the position of the breasts prior to liposuction indicating the degree of breast lift achieved.
- Side view of Breast reduction using liposuction one year after pregnancy.
- This woman presented a year after completing her family. She had significant back pain from the weight of her breasts and found activity uncomfortable. Liposuction was used to reduce the breast size from a 14G to a 14DD with immediate relief of pain.
- This 64 year old patient had significant neck and back problems from the weight of her breasts which weighed 1400ml each before liposuction. Dr John Barrett removed 900ml from each breast (>60% of their volume) and the relief from her symptoms was immediate. As you can see as well as relieving symptoms this patient had a significant breast lift and went from an E cup breast to a C cup breast. If you look at the distance between her tummy button and the bottom of the breasts in the before photos and compare this with the after breast reduction photos you will see how big a lift has been obtained.
- Breast lift after liposuction breast reduction.
- Note the increased distance between her tummy button and the bottom of the breasts in the after photo indicating how much lift she has had. I have also corrected the asymmetry.
- This before after photos of breast reduction by liposculpture shows a patient with a large D cup breast and after liposuction the breasts have reduced to a C cup breast and again a nice breast lift has been achieved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a candidiate for breast liposuction?
Any woman with large and heavy breasts, who is happy with the shape of her breasts, but just wants them smaller can be considered for this procedure.
Is anyone not a good candidate?
The best candidates for breast reduction by liposuction are those who have fatty breasts. There will usually be a story of increased breast size with increasing general weight gain. In these cases the cause of the increased breast size is deposition of fat in the breasts and in some women this area may gain fat in preference to any other area of the body.
At Palm Clinic we ultrasound the breast at the initial consultation to see how much fat versus breast tissue there is and we also insist on a mammogram to exclude the possibility of breast cancer before proceeding.
Is breast reduction by liposuction permanent?
Yes, the reduction in the size of the breasts is permanent, provided that your weight remains stable after the procedure.
What are the breast reduction costs?
Breast reduction prices vary but are considerably cheaper when performed by liposuction rather than breast surgery. An average cost is $6900 + GST.
Are there scars or changes to nipple sensation?
The small access holes are 1-2mm wide. There are usually 3-4 per side placed under the breast and under the armpit and these settle very quickly. They are not sutured after the procedure and essentially are invisible after a couple of weeks. As all the instruments used in this surgery are quite blunt, there is generally no change to how the nipple feels. This is very different to conventional surgery, where a large inverted T-shape incision is made and some of the nerves to the skin of the breast can be cut, altering sensation permanently.
Are any special tests necessary?
A mammogram is required before the procedure and again one year after the procedure is finished.
What support garments are required?
A special compressive chest garment is used for the first few days after the procedure and then a support bra is used for a further 2-4weeks after the procedure.
How long does the procedure take?
Most breast reduction procedures take around 2 hours to complete.
How much time will I need off?
In general you should plan on taking two to three days off work. It would be about three weeks before normal gym activities or jogging could be started.