Fraxel Laser for Acne Treatment and Brown Pigmentation
Fraxel Laser is a breakthrough treatment for improved skin texture, acne scarring and brown pigmentation including melasma.
Medical Grade Fraxel Dual Laser
Palm Clinic now has the latest medical grade Fraxel re:store DUAL laser which is based on a new science of "fractional" skin repair. The term Dual Fraxel is because there are two laser wavelengths, one used for pigmentation (1927nm called "Refine") and the other for skin texture, pores and acne scarring (1550nm called "Restore"). We only use the Dual setting if there is pigmentation. For acne scarring without pigmentation we just use the 1550 wavelength for the best results.
It is important to be aware that some Beauty Therapists advertise Fraxel laser which is not the same as a medical grade Fraxel Dual laser and does not produce the same results. There are only two Fraxel Dual lasers in Auckland so take care to receive the right treatment for your condition. In particular if you have acne scarring you will need the medical grade Fraxel laser available at Palm Clinic.
Acne Scarring Vastly Improved with Fraxel Laser
Acne scarring is a notoriously difficult condition to treat but Palm Clinic doctors have been extremely impressed by the improvements in acne scarring after Fraxel treatments. It generally requires three treatments for optimal results but this will vary depending on the depth of the scars.
Other Indications for Fraxel Laser
Used mainly for pigmentation, skin textural improvement, acne scarring, lines, open pores, melasma and brown spots Fraxel Dual Laser provides the safest form of skin resurfacing as the skin is left intact. Revolutionary new technology from the USA allows the skin to be treated with hundreds of thousands of microscopically small holes which can't even be seen. Because the skin surface remains intact and only 30-50% of the skin surface is treated at any one time, the skin heals within 4-5 days on the face and longer off the face. Fraxel DUAL is now into it's third generation so ask for Fraxel DUAL for the latest in skin rejuvenation.
You may have seen Fraxel on "Campbell Live", TV3 or Extreme Makeover where excellent results were shown for acne scarring and skin texture.
Fraxel DUAL laser treatment is used to treat a variety of problems associated with sun-damaged and ageing skin. It is effectively used to treat pigmentation, melasma, fine to moderate lines and acne scarring. We have seen excellent results on acne scarring. It also provides general improvement in skin texture by promoting collagen production.
It can be used to treat the face, neck, chest, hands and legs. All skin types can be treated.
Post Fraxel Recovery
There will be some downtime with the Fraxel laser which includes a few days of mild to moderate swelling and redness. We offer Lightwave Therapy immediately post Fraxel to reduce the redness and swelling but you may need to factor a day or two off work following treatment.
Fraxel Laser Before and After Photos
Frequently Asked Questions
Fraxel Dual Laser - What is it and why should I go to Palm Clinic?
Palm Clinic has over six years experience with the Fraxel fractional skin resurfacing laser. Our Clinic consists of highly trained and experienced doctors and laser nurses and a skin therapist. Fraxel is the original and extensively researched fractional laser treatment. It was developed in the USA and is approved by the FDA. Palm Clinic's Fraxel Dual is registered with Medsafe New Zealand.
There are three Fraxel options:
- Fraxel Re:Fine This is a gentle option that treats minor skin damage.
- Fraxel Re:Store The original and most popular Fraxel can resurface damaged skin and uncover the skin of your youth with minimal impact on your daily routine. This treats wrinkles, acne scars, surgical scars, age spots/sunspots, melasma and actinic keratosis.
- Fraxel Re:Store Dual for both superficial and deeper treatments at the same time. There are two wavelengths combined to allow treatment of superficial brown spots at the same time as deeper skin rejuvenation and correction of acne scarring.
When Do Results Appear after Fraxel Dual treatment?
How does Fraxel Dual laser work?
Fraxel Dual laser treatment repairs aging and sun-damaged skin - pixel by pixel, spot by spot. Think of a digital photo that is comprised of thousands of pixels. Now imagine damaged skin that is delicately repaired, pixel by pixel, spot by spot.
- The Fraxel Dual laser passes through the top layer of skin like light through glass, reaching into the dermis below to create thousands of tiny, microscopic areas of thermal damage that stimulates the body's only wound healing response, notably new collagen production and replacement of damaged skin surfaces with new epidermal skin.
- The penetrating wavelengths of Fraxel DUAL laser treatment resuface damaged skin, reduce periorbital wrinkles and correct pigmented lesions such as age spots and sun spots as your skin gradually becomes softer, smoother and fresher.
- Fraxel Dual is a mid-infrared 1550nm laser plus a new wavelength of 1927nm. It is a non-ablative treatment, which makes it a great alternative to traditional ablative treatments. Ablative treatments resurface broad areas of skin and involve many risks of side effects and longer healing and recovery time. Because Fraxel laser treatments are non-ablative, side effects and recovery time are minimal. In the healing process, new, healthier and tighter tissue is produced to replace skin imperfections. Fraxel resurfaces 30-50% of the skin surface each time and over 2-3 treatments is able to treat the whole area. Resurfacing the skin with Fraxel Dual is like fixing a digital picture pixel by pixel.
What happens before Fraxel Dual treatment?
What's it like after Fraxel Dual treatment?
What To Expect After Treatment:
- Redness or pinkish skin lasting 3-5 days
- Minor to moderate swelling of skin lasting 3-5 days
- Bronzed appearance for 3-14 days.
- The bronzed skin will peel off leaving the face fresher with the pigment removed.
What areas can be treated with Fraxel Dual?
Fraxel Dual laser treatment can successfully treat:
- Necks and chests
- For pigmentation (age spots and sun spots), melasma, lines and wrinkles, pore size, acne scarring and skin texture
- Acne scarring
What happens during Fraxel Dual treatment?
A topical anaesthetic gel is applied to your skin 1 hour prior to treatment.
During the treatment, the fraxel laser will be passed over your skin and create thousands of deep treatment columns in your skin called microthermal treatment zones. These zones penetrate deep into the dermal layers of your skin where collagen is stored and created.
Who cannot have Fraxel Dual treatment?
You may not have Fraxel Dual laser treatment if you:
- Are pregnant
- Have taken or use oral retinoids eg, Roaacutane within last 6 months
- Have used topical skin products with Retinols in the last 2 weeks.
- Have had recent sun exposure or used sun beds within the last month.
- Are on Roaccutane or any other medication with photo-sensitive side effects.
- Have a history of Keloid scarring.