Skin Cancer Surgery
Skin cancer requires accurate diagnosis, biopsy and surgical excision.
Not all skin cancers arise from moles and in fact most skin cancers arise from areas on the skin that do not have moles - these are usually BCC's or SCC's.
If you think you have a skin cancer of any type (BCC, SCC, melanoma) please arrange for a full body skin and mole check. Palm Clinic has a special interest in skin cancer and uses dermoscopy to evaluate any suspicious skin lesions or moles. Dermatoscopy is the recommended method of evaluating potential skin cancers and is preferred to a simple mole map which just takes serial photographs. There is no substitute for a thorough skin assessment by a doctor with a special interest in skin cancer. At Palm Clinic our doctors can perform the skin check (including dermoscopy) and arrange for a biopsy for accurate diagnosis and excision for the best possible clinical and cosmetic outcome.
- Actinic keratosis is a pre-cancerous condition which typically presents with flaky skin that often seems to spontaneously improve only to appear again later.
- BCC can present in different forms ranging from superficial to nodular.
- Malignant melanoma is the skin cancer which is most likely to spread to other parts of the body if not removed in time.
- SCC or squamous cell carcinoma can spread to other parts of the body if not excised in time.
- Seborrhoeic keratosis is a scaly lesion often referred to as senile warts. They are very common in anyone over 35 years old and are completely benign but they do need to be diagnosed by an experienced doctor to differentiate them from skin cancer.
- Skin tags are common in areas of friction like armpits, groin, under breasts and between the legs. They are benign and easily removed by Surgitron.
- SCC can present in a variety of ways. If you notice any change in a skin lesion it is wise to have it checked sooner rather than later as SCC can spread to other parts of the body.
- Bowens disease is a very superficial form of SCC.
- This is a nodular form of SCC which would require a wide excision.
- The three most common skin cancers are represented here: SCC, BCC and melanoma.
Palm Clinic is an Affiliated Provider to Southern Cross Health Society for skin cancer treatment, skin biopsies, and skin cancer surgery. Medical necessity criteria apply.